Old 11-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default squirrels

In article ,
"A.Malhotra" writes:

| ... How do the "experts" explain the seemingly inexplicable
| decline (only in the UK where grey squirrels exist) of the red squirrel if
| not due to grey squirrel expansion coincidently into the habitats the red
| squirrels have lost out of?
|
| Well the red squirrel is holding its own in some parts of the country. It
| seems to have at least something to do with the decline in their favoured
| habitat. They have a much more restricted diet than grey squirrels.

The evidence that I have seen is the primary cause of the decline is
the near-demise of mixed-age and open coniferous (especially pine)
woodland. Some predictions are that the red squirrels may stage a
partial recovery over the next couple of decades, as some existing
pulpwood forestry matures, but will then decline again if clear
felling is used.

On the other hand, all of those analyses indicated that the presence
of grey squirrels in marginal conditions led to the rapid extinction
of the red ones.

| Note that in Canada the red squirrel is doing fine although it coexists
| with quite a few species of other, larger squirrels including the grey
| squirrel.

Quite.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679