Old 28-02-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Default Crepe Myrtle question

"Hal" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:07:08 GMT, "Natty Dread"
wrote:

I have three crepe myrtles that were planted last year. They are now
about
4.5 feet tall and had developed their first blooms at the end of last
summer. However, it was so hot and dry here last year that the blooms
basically fried on the branches before they could fully open. Should I
prune these trees back to encourage blooming this year? If so, how far
down? Thanks for any info.

Crepe myrtle is a bush, very tolerant of pruning, but pruning is done
to shape as well as stimulate blooms. I would prune up (Take out
lower limbs.) until the upright growth produces branches tall enough
to walk under and strong enough to tolerate top pruning.

Actually I don't top prune mine at all, but simply shape them to look
like trees. You can do a second pruning after the first blooming
begins to fade and get a second bloom, but I'm happy with one blooming
and a tree shape that looks like a tree all year instead of pruned
stubs part of the year. Plan for what you want and prune
accordingly.

Maybe I misstated my question. They don't actually need pruning for shape
or height. What I really need to know is if I should clip off the blooms
that died before opening last year to enable the bushes to bloom this year.
Or will they take care of that themselves?