Old 11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Joe Blow

Default How Much to Feed our Fish?

Hey all,

Here in Colorado the weather is starting to warm up. Last night as I was
cleaning our pond filter (clogged because the Koi are now swimming around
and we haven't cleaned the pond yet, but will happen soon), I noticed the
fish are out! Now, I have read that we should not feed them right now (max
pond temp was 50 deg. yesterday), as the chances of a refreezing is very
high here . You should know that this is our first spring with the pond in
a house we just purchased 3 months ago, but I have already read several
books and am coming up to speed on taking card of the Koi. I want to
start finding out how much to feed them, so that when the time comes to
start feeding, we can be ready. We have 9 Koi, ranging in sized from about
18" (2 fish) to several small fish about 6 inches long. Also, we both work
so we can't do the 5 feedings a day thing. So, I am looking for some advice
on how much to feed the Koi if we feed them once or twice a day. Any help
is greatly appreciated. Also, here are some pictures of our pond:

http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewphoto.phtml?photoid=58
http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewphoto.phtml?photoid=61
http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewphoto.phtml?photoid=62
http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewphoto.phtml?photoid=63