Old 11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Jane

Default Large pot volume

I need to borrow some of your brain Sameer. Do you mind?
(grin)

Jane
"Snooze" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Shepherd" wrote in message
Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

To get a rough estimate of the volume of the pot, we'll assume it's a
perfect cylinder.
If the pot has a 19" diameter, and is 19" high, then.

volume = pi * (diameter / 2)^2 * height

That is 5384 cubic inches, which when divided by 1728 gives us cubic feet.
Or approximately 3 cubic feet per pot. A 19"x19"x19" box is almost 4 cubic
feet.

So you'll need between 3-4 cuft per pot.

Sameer