Old 11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Bob Bauer

Default Large pot volume

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:27:54 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

To get a rough estimate of the volume of the pot, we'll assume it's a
perfect cylinder....
So you'll need between 3-4 cuft per pot.

Although your math is right on, where you might not be correct,
Sameer, is that most garden pots are not cylinders, at least not the
decorative ones.

Almost all the pots I've seen and used are truncated inverted cones.
( I grow about 100 roses in pots).

My own actual experience says that my estimate of approximately 2
cubic feet to fill the pot, or a little less when you take the root
ball of the transplanted rose into account applies for a nineteen inch
pot.

I do use 3-4 cubic feet in my rose holes in the ground though, those
holes are cylinders.

Also, just for everyone's information, a nineteen inch diameter pot
isn't really considered a BIG pot, the big ones are 24 to 30 inches in
diameter. I would grow hybrid teas, shrubs or climbers in these
bigger pots, and put floribundas and larger miniatures and patio roses
in the 19-21 inch size.

Bob Bauer