Old 11-03-2003, 05:20 PM
zxcvbob

Default Need advice on lettuce selection...

ABC wrote:

We are planning on planting vegetables again this summer now that our dogs
are older and will leave the plot alone. We live in the Niagara, Canada
area - very hot and humid summers (it's a fruit belt region) and very cold
winters.

I am looking for advice on growing different greens - specifically for
salads, like the Spring Mix they sell at the grocery stores. I am only
familiar with the usual run of the mill greens like iceberg, romaine, etc.,
but would love some ideas as to what would make a great "salad greens"
garden.

Thanks very much,
Rachel.

Iceberg lettuce is hard to grow. Don't bother. I haven't tried to grow
romaine. Leaf lettuces, like Black Seeded Simpson and Red Sail are easy to
grow in early spring.

Boc choi (pac choi?) is wonderful mixed with iceburg lettuce. I recently
discovered it at a Oriental market. It's probably even better mixed with a
more interesting lettuce. When I can find it, I buy the short ones with
flower buds starting to form.

Plant spinach as soon as the ground can be worked. It makes a good salad
greens.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/