Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Pictures of my growing room

Gene Schurg wrote:

Rob,

Very interesting. The first question that comes to mind is .... Why did
they build a basement room under your patio?

I have no idea... There is an identical room built under the front
stoop. Would make a good place to store canned goods. Not a
particularly good root cellar though. Somebody thought it was a good
idea. It helped sell the house (to me). But I doubt it was planned as
a plant room. House was built in 1973. Actually they would make good
storm shelters.

Have you considered putting Mylar on the walls to reflect the light?

Yep. I've used mylar in the past, and find that it gets dirty too
fast and is hard to clean. I thought a good compromise was to use
semi-gloss white paint. It is quite reflective, and a heck of a lot
easier to clean. Probably not cheaper to use paint, actually.

It looks like you have a lot of plants squeezed in to that space. Time to
get rid of that patio and put the greenhouse in

If I put in a greenhouse I'd probably still grow some things in the
plant room. It would make an excellent place for cool growers and
pleurothallids. This is what I tell myself...

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit