Old 11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
saki

Default Mature size of these roses

"Allegra" wrote in news:hieba.35084$L1.7311
@sccrnsc02:

You are going to love Darlow's Enigma, he is really a sweetheart
of a rose. It has such an elegant stand, I find it hard to explain.
Demure but sexy if you please. I guess you could say I truly,
truly like (!) this rose.

I have a yearling of Darlow, so it's still quite small, but buds are
forming. I'm still not sure how much the plant will actually climb this
year but I'm looking forward to this rose as well.

Here still wet, gray and cold. But a some cuttings have rooted
gloriously, and in spite of an unhealthy dose of powdery mildew
all over Zephirine - the milk treatment didn't do a thing I am afraid
no matter what ratio, 5 to 1, 4 to 1, 3 to 1 , back to the old spray....

The only roses I'm having mildew problems with right now are two Fragrant
Clouds, both in full sun but fussing anyway. I tried the milk spray (using
whole milk, 5 parts water to one part milk as recommended). I saw some
improvement but not enough to warrant continuing its use. I switched to one
of the Safer Products for powdery mildew---can't recall which one but I
think it has some Neem oil in it. Now things are looking up.

My two Zepherines, which have finally bloomed after three years of waiting,
are in a slightly different locale but have not shown any signs of powdery
mildew despite their legendary susceptibility. Amazing how different the
microclimates can be from back to front garden.

----