Old 11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

Default Large pot volume

Shepherd wrote:

Just bought several large pots to plant my bare-root roses in.

The tag states that the pot's soil volume is 0 quarts.

The pot measures about 19" X 19".

Can anyone please tell me what the volume of dirt I will need to buy for
these pots?

So mathematically, I vote with Sameer, only because I did the numbers
the same way.

Let's see: you need to put some rocks or broken pots in the bottom for
drainage and to cover the drain holes; you don't fill all the way to
the top; the bareroot takes up some of the volume of pot; potting soil,
while a tiny bit damp (if you're lucky), will reduce in volume several
inches once you water it.

My gut, however, tells me that a 2 cu ft. bag of soil would be almost
adequate once you add bone meal, a little alfalfa, and the rose.
Besides, no garden project would be complete without two, if not three,
visits to the nursery. ;~)