Old 11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
mhagen

Default California Redwood Tree ?

Jack Sandweiss wrote:
We live by the coast in So. Cal. and have two redwoods on our north side
close to the house. We bought this house about 3 years ago only to learn
that the prior owner topped the largest of the pair. Now, its upper,
small branches are dying and the upper trunk is turning grey, but it is
filling in heavily along the lower side, and the lower 3/4 trunk looks
good. We understand that these were planted from seed by the first owner
in 1947. The topped one is about 40-50', with a trunk base diameter
about 3.5-4'. Obviously, this is the one I'm concerned about. It's a
majestic tree.

Will the topping prove to be fatal? If not, what should I have done, and
with what credentials, if need be? This tree means a lot to someone
raised in the midwest.

Jack

I'd suggest finding an arborist and asking them. Redwood is resistant to
most forms of rot so it's probably not that. Being in So. Cal, it might
be having problems with air pollution, sunscald, dryness or diseases
brought on by drought stress. There are many things in an urban
environment that damage trees - root cutting, soil compaction, excessive
water from lawn watering, sloppy trimming by the power company,
herbicides and even nasty neighbors. Good luck!