Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Natty Dread

Default Crepe Myrtle question

"told2b" wrote in message
oups.com...

Natty Dread wrote:

Maybe I misstated my question. They don't actually need pruning for
shape
or height. What I really need to know is if I should clip off the
blooms
that died before opening last year to enable the bushes to bloom this
year.
Or will they take care of that themselves?

Crape myrtle does not require heavy pruning to promote bloom. Flowers
are produced on new growth. It will produce flowers without any
pruning, although it will produce larger flowers and bloom more
profusely if at least lightly pruned. Pruning in late winter or early
spring will stimulate vigorous new growth in the spring. Encourage a
second bloom in summer by pruning flowers immediately after they fade.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you!