Old 28-02-2006, 04:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

Default Cats are evil (not off-topic)

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 04:53:59 GMT, harriswest
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

We have a stray living out back. I see it every day drinking from the
pond. I feel terrible for the poor guy. I saw him spraying today, so
I know he's a boy. I can't have him living back there, but what to
do? I wonder if he's lost.

Cats don't really get lost.

Get in touch with these folks; they may be able to give you some advice:

http://www.animaltrustees.org/

Thanks, I will call them. However, who told you cats really don't get
lost? Of course they do, and its always the idiot owner who it
happens to. Cats should not be allowed to roam all over. Especially
un-spayed or un-neutered. There are laws on the books preventing
people from letting their cats from roaming all over the place.

Jangchub,

Cats are territorial animals and as such don't get "lost" or "stray" as in
the manner of a dog. Most likely what you are seeing is a "feral" cat, a
domestic animal born wild - it's never had a "home" or an "owner" but is the
offspring of an abandoned housepet however many generations removed.

People should not dump unwanted cats or kittens, but once a feral population
is established the idea of anyone "allowing" them to roam is absurd. One
might just as well rail that 'possums or grackles not be "allowed to roam" -
there's laws against that, doggone it!!!! G

The animals you see in the "lost cat" posters haven't strayed from their
home territory - some fate has befallen them. Hit by a car, eaten by
predators, etc. In rare cases the animal has been taken in by someone or
brought to a shelter.

Because of their territorial nature you may not be successful in removing
your feral cat. The best way to control a feral population, say the
experts, is to capture, spay/neuter, notch an ear to indicate that
sterilization has been performed, and release the animal back to where it
was captured. Simply removing the cat will create a territorial "vacuum"
that will be filled by another feral cat.

If you really want to rid your yard of feral cats, get a cat of your own.
It will establish a territory around your house and keep ferals away. Of
course there will still be cat poop in your flower beds, but you can take
some consolation in the fact that at least it's *your* cat that's doing it!

For the record, I allow my cats outside but have a backyard that's fenced
"cat-proof" which they can't leave.

Mike Harris
Austin, TX