Old 11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Gary Woods

Default Blanching leeks!

"Alan Holmes" wrote:

I have a number of leeks in the ground which were set out last year,
they seem to be growing well but as expected the growth above
ground is all green.

A couple of thoughts:

Since leeks are biennial, you may have them planning to flower and set
seed, though I understand they don't depending on growing conditions,
seasons, and a things I don't understand*

I've always blanched mine by just pulling dirt up around the stems with a
hoe, after running alongside the row with the rotovator to make it easier.

Couldn't you just wait for a moonless night, play some spooky music, and
sneak out to the leek row and yell "BOO!?"

*Said list is much too long for this group.

Still a couple of feet of snow on top of the garlic, and well over a meter
in the drifted areas. So I mixed units.

Cheers!