Old 27-02-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Yawn - re Who's the dickhead

wrote in message ...
Rupert wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Flower Bobdew
writes

Just out of curiosity, Janet. Or anyone else, for that matter. What
criteria do you use to dump these?

My newsreader usually filters out most of them before I download my
groups. Otherwise

I go to the bottom of them, select all, scanning quickly every title
in
case a short proper message is there, then just remove. Easy with
Turnpike. Not sure about other newsreaders. Doesn't take more than a
couple of seconds.

Ditto.

Janet

Come on then you two gigabrains, how do you scan *quickly* every title.
I got a couple of thousand duff messages.
I know us lot in Yorkshire are not renowned for being quick but.........

I simply read any postings that interest me (usually before or after
the hugh pile of junk postings) and then 'C'atchup the whole group so
that all are marked as read an I never see them again.

What's the problem?

--
Chris Green

The problem with your technique is that valid messages are being posted at
the same time as the rubbish and thus they end up intermingled with the
crap. You can't just assume that all the relevant stuff is in one block.
This was particularly true yesterday when there was a constant trickle of
garbage over a long period.