Old 27-02-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yawn - re Who's the dickhead

Rupert wrote:

I simply read any postings that interest me (usually before or after
the hugh pile of junk postings) and then 'C'atchup the whole group so
that all are marked as read an I never see them again.

What's the problem?

--
Chris Green

The problem with your technique is that valid messages are being posted at
the same time as the rubbish and thus they end up intermingled with the
crap. You can't just assume that all the relevant stuff is in one block.
This was particularly true yesterday when there was a constant trickle of
garbage over a long period.

I did say "usually before or after the hugh pile of junk postings"
(complete with typo!), note the 'usually'. If I was really looking for
something I might quickly scan through the junk headers, as other people
have said it's easy enough to spot non-junk.

However if I do miss the odd thread it's hardly the end of the world,
if I'm desperate to follow a particular thread I can mark it so that
it's always put at the top (as happens automatically to threads I start
myself).

--
Chris Green