Old 27-02-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default quick advice please

"Rob" wrote in message
Right , I know nothing about gardening , and nor to be honest , do I want
. ( well , not too much anyway !!! )

I have a medium sized garden that is just grass in the middle , and a 2
foot wide border of soil all around the outside .

All I want to do is chuck in some bulbs at about a foot apart all the way
around the outside so I have flowers and a nice bit of colour there coming
around June time and will last all summer .

I dont really want to be bothered actually buying ready grown plants and
re - planting them . if I can help it , so are there any cheap , quick
growing bulbs that I should plant now that will do my job .

A simple ,
" yes you want X amount of this Y type of bulb and plant about
distance apart and will give you Red flowers , in about xx months time .

You want to get 2 Chaenomorphys digitorryhnchus var nymphoplatypus.
These are all in stock in good garden centres this tine of year but do not
be fobbed off with anything else. There are lots of cheap impitations. They
are red, flower constantly from June to the first frosts in November;
actively repel slugs, require no maintenance and will slowly talk over about
2-3 square yeards each. All you do is throw them out the window of your car
as you drive past, vaguely in the direction of your garden and they will do
te rest. Expect to pay about 5 quid each for good ones.

" yes you want X amount of this Y type of bulb and plant about
distance apart and will give you Blue flowers"

Blue is harder; I would recommend a few hundred Algerian Bluebells
(Geosphincter hybrids). Plant these 3 feet deep (they will be killed by teh
first frosts otherwise) about 3 inches apart.

" yes you want X amount of this Y type of bulb and plant about
distance apart and will give you Yellow flowers"

ect , ect

Thanks in advance .

Rob