Old 28-02-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default quick advice please

On 28/2/06 1:59, in article
, "Rob"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote

Thanks in advance .

Rob

Many thanks for all your advice .

Will try all your tips , thanks . ( Well , all apart from Des Higgins !!!
.

I cant believe I searched Google for "Chaenomorphys digitorryhnchus var
nymphoplatypus" !!!! )

Somebody once asked me the name of a shrub and I said "It's Daphne odora
aureomarginata" and he just stared at me and said "You made that up". I
hadn't but you can see why your gullibility can be excused. ;-))
While planting up tubs - if you do - why not buy some shrubs which will give
you scent and colour all year? I suggest you find a nursery or garden
centre where you will get advice, as opposed to a hand stuck out at the till
for your credit card! The Daphne I mention blooms very early in the year
and has a penetratingly sweet scent as does Sarcococca and Hamamelis. Some
of the winter flowering shrubs have more perfume than some of the summer
ones. But the summer ones can give you colour right into autumn and if you
plant e.g. Cornus (dogwood) some of the stem colours will shine through
winter's darkest days. Then, plant bulbs for spring in front and between
them and put summer flowering ones into these tubs and move them around or
group them to get the effect you want.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk