Old 28-02-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

Default Advice on how to stop downloading nonsense please

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
On this computer I am on a dial-up account and I don't know how to stop
downloading these silly postings as I have to pay for the time it takes
to download them.

I don't think there is very much you can do. Even if your newsreader can be
set up to filter them out, based on some criteria in the headers, it still
has to read the headers to do its job. You might like to look into getting a
broadband connection, or a monthly-billed dial-up line. They're quite cheap
now. Even a fast broadband connection usually works out less costly than
PAYG dial-up.

You might save some time online if you make sure your newsreader is set up
to download headers only, then only download the threads you're interested
in. That means staying online while you scan the headers, though.

Using Google means you have to stay online too.

The best I can say is keep reporting the problem to the ISPs the messages
come from (not necessarily always rcn.com although the last batch were).
Apparently a low number of scumbags are attempting to destroy the uk
hierarchy. Gardeners, by definition, have a great deal more patience than
those scumbags. Keeping plugging away.

--
Crazy Dog