Old 11-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Clear Cut

Default California Redwood Tree ?

Being in Southern CA and Planted from Seed - may indicate a Giant
Sequoia (Sequoiadendron gigantium) instead of a coast redwood (Sequoia
sempervirens).

In any case topping is often a slow death sentence to most trees - hire
an arborist if you are concerned.

I tend to recomend people look for arborists that have gone beyond the
state licensing requirements.

The International Society of Arboricuture has a list of members at:

http://www.isa-arbor.com/arborists/arbsearch.html

The American Society of Consulting Arborists appears to have even
stricter requirements. A directory can be found at:

http://www.asca-consultants.org/directory/index.cfm

In article ,
Jack Sandweiss wrote:

We live by the coast in So. Cal. and have two redwoods on our north side
close to the house. We bought this house about 3 years ago only to learn
that the prior owner topped the largest of the pair. Now, its upper,
small branches are dying and the upper trunk is turning grey, but it is
filling in heavily along the lower side, and the lower 3/4 trunk looks
good. We understand that these were planted from seed by the first owner
in 1947. The topped one is about 40-50', with a trunk base diameter
about 3.5-4'. Obviously, this is the one I'm concerned about. It's a
majestic tree.

Will the topping prove to be fatal? If not, what should I have done, and
with what credentials, if need be? This tree means a lot to someone
raised in the midwest.

Jack

--
Due to SPAM filtering, please add NOSPAM
to email subject to improve your chances