Old 28-02-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default greenhouse recommendations, advice?

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

/snip/

I know there are more experienced gardeners than me out there. What
advice can you give? Should I stick with all glass, go for brick base,
opt for aluminium? I don't need it as a very warm greenhouse as I just
want to heat it to a few degrees to get seedlings on and to over winter.

The best greenhouse I ever had/worked in was a GRP (glass fibre) one.
The sections were (inverted) 'U' shaped, and bolted together. There was
a flange on the bottom which was buried to prevent the wind uprooting
the whole thing.

It had sliding GRP doors.

I divided it into a large middle bed and two narrower ones down each
side and dug two walkways to a depth of about eighteen inches below
ground level, thus raising the beds by a similar amount. This made
working the beds and working in it much easier, and more pleasant.

I had to dig a trench round it and put in corrugated iron to keep the
damned moles out. I grew tomatoes and cucumbers (for farm gate sale) and
underplanted with strawberries and catchcrops of radishes, and trained
two grape vines along the top.

. .
. . |
' ' into the trench
/ \ |
| |
__| | | |__ with the bottom bent
| | out to foil the little
|~~~~· ·~~~~~~~~· ·~~~~| men in velvet weskits

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig