Old 14-02-2003, 02:03 PM
simy1

Default Filling raised beds

Ann wrote in message . ..
(simy1) expounded:

I agree that fresh manure is quite seedy, however cow is far worse
than horse, and horse is quite manageable.

You have that exactly backwards. A cow ruminates, which grinds up
more weed seeds than a horse, who gobbles and basically just passes
the food right through. Horse manure is far weedier than cow. That
being said, many people have more access to horse, if it's properly
composted, it's far better than no manure at all. Composting will
kill more of the weed seeds (although cow manure also needs
composting).

You may be right about that. But probably the basic difference is that
(my) horses are not out to pasture. That prevents them from, say,
ingesting any wood sorrel seeds. It is not like I invented the whole
concept. This is what I found out with different sources of manure.