Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Newbie Questions

The message
from "louisxiv" contains these words:

The elder tree is deciduous. But it won't do any harm if it's still
alive: if there's room, it can be worth having a couple for the berries.
I suspect Jenny's thinking of ground elder, which is a pernicious weed.

Ah!

It's a shame, but I reckon its berry producing days are a distant memory.

Young ground elder leaves make a good (if rather strongly-flavoured)
green vegetable. They are also good (better, IMO) chopped and added to
casseroles, mildly-flavoured greens, etc.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig