Old 11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Jeffrey Barker

Default Anybody growing white asparagus ??

Mary McHugh wrote in message ...
rosemarie face wrote:

Hi ! I was wondering if there are any gardeners in this group growing
white asparagus ? Since I love this great vegetable I would like to grow
it myself . I would be very thankful for your advise how to go about it
I live in zone 5 .

Thanks !
Rosie z5

I tried to grow it one year. I bought seeds and got a few to sprout. Then
I transplanted them outside. Some came back the next year but I
unfortunately chose a very harsh location (hot & dry) and between that and
the asparagus beetles, it was toast. Considering the odds against it, it
was amazingly hardy.

Since then, I haven't been able to locate either seeds or crowns to try
again.

For those who asked about the diff between green and white, the spears poked
up nearly completely white. Once they ferned out, they did turn green but a
far lighter green than regular asparagus.

Mary

From what I've read, you've got to grow it in the dark to keep it
white. Seems to defy logic, but I've read that in several different
places.

Jeffrey