Old 01-03-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default greenhouse recommendations, advice?

The message
from "Crazy Dog" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

The best greenhouse I ever had/worked in was a GRP (glass fibre) one.
The sections were (inverted) 'U' shaped, and bolted together. There was
a flange on the bottom which was buried to prevent the wind uprooting
the whole thing.

It had sliding GRP doors.

There's a swimming pool at a school in Coleshill, West Midlands (near where
I live) with a similar structure over the top of it. The pool was originally
open-air. The easiest way to cover it was to use GRP sections fixed to
foundations around the edge, and bolted to each other as each new section
was moved into place. It's huge - a much bigger span than I would have
thought GRP could cover.

I had this idea a while ago, when I had the smallholding. Dig a swimming
pool, insulate the pit, line it, cover it, and then build a large GRP
greenhouse over the top.

Heat the water using radiators in triple-glazed panels to collect solar
energy, and rely on the greenhouse to retain most of the heat. Have a
big roller-shutter which will cover the pool - probably with a
quickly-assembled frame under it to support it, and grow tropical or
sub-tropical stuff which likes humidity all round the sides.

"Swimming pool? No, of course not! It's agricultural - it's a heat and
water reservoir and humidifier to keep the environment in my greenhouse
right for the crops. Not rateable, oh no."

?

"I'm in my swimming cossie 'cos it's so humid in here, why else?"

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig