Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Latest batch of junk (28-Feb-06 @ 15:30)

The message
from "Crazy Dog" contains these words:

/snip/

From the exchanges that have already taken place, and the lack of netiquette
I have already observed in this group I would regard most users as very
inexperienced.

You'll find that many of the established users only come out of the
woodwork when prodded, or when they have something to contribute.

Others, (myself included) tend to be a bit more active (and often off-topic).

Unfortunately there are personality clashes, in most of which I will not
take sides (and I do wish they'd just ignore one-another). However,
there's one I make and take exception to - so here's to absent fiends,
and long may he stay absent.

I hope there is no need to change or go elsewhere. Moderation
would mean delays in posts going public. Changing to a forum format would
mean some users would not have access from pcs at work.

And only the Gardenbanterites would go there.

In general I prefer
unmoderated newsgroups. In general I believe that "if it ain't broke - don't
fix it". My perception is that, due to the flooding the group is
experiencing, it /is/ broken as it is not a pleasant environment.

Most servers remove the rubbish before anyone gets a chance to download it.

That's
certainly not due to the genuine users.

No, as I see it, it's a uk.local.* thing mainly, and not restricted to urg.

It occurs to me that for regulars to explain in public, to strangers,
exactly if and how they circumvent successive floods, may not be a good
idea. It may be helpful to those who want to get round our defences.

That has also occurred to me. However, I also regard posting a genuine email
address as fundamentally stupid and I would assume that most others would
think so too. Therefore, if anyone posts a thread asking for help or info I
won't attempt to reply to sender - I'll reply to the group. Besides, it's
all available online if anyone cares to google.

Those wishing to exchange tactics and helpful support would perhaps be
better to do so in the privacy of email between familiar gardening
names.

See above.

Most of us include a bot-proof emu, and some post using their proper
addresses.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig