Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Lettuce, Little Gem

tvrchimaera wrote:
Hi,

I have tried to grow some Little Gems (out of season in a window tray
with chives and basil). I'm in UK...
Both chives and basil grow very well. My chives grow best when used
and cut back.

The lettuce grew very fast, 2 inch stem with a few small leaves now
looks very sad. It appears to have grown too quickly too early. Have
I sown my seeds too shallow??

No, I don't think you can grow them like that at all. The depth of
sowing would have no effect, as long as it was suitable for germination.
Indoor conditions would be all wrong: wrong light, wrong temperature,
maybe too dry an atmosphere (even if you watered them right at root
level). I'd assume your lettuce plants knew it was a hopeless struggle,
and were trying to run to seed in the hope of salvaging something from
the disaster. There may be a lettuce variety which will grow in winter
on a windowsill, but I haven't heard of it yet.

--
Mike.