Old 11-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Frogleg

Default ginger

On 11 Mar 2003 08:05:43 -0800, (IC_Gardener)
wrote:

Can anyone give me some information on growing ginger? I bought some
roots at the local food store that were beginning to sprout. I don't
expect much out of them; its more just a curiousity thing. But do
they need full sun? How tall do they get? Do they flower? When can
I move them from the pot to the garden?

Plant the roots (rhizomes) shallowly in a pot (sandy, light soil,
'though they seem pretty happy in any sort of dirt). They *do* like
sun. I've never had the supermarket variety flower, but I may not have
given them enough sun.Ginger becomes an attractive, tall (2'+?) leafy
plant, and if successful, the rhizomes increase. It's a tropical
plant, so you can put in the garden when the soil is warm, but must
dig up or say "good-bye" to when frost threatens. I think ginger is
fun because it's so willing and eager to grow. You can dig up and
re-plant in fall, or over-winter in a warm sunny room.