Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Bijou lettuce

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:44:59 +0000, davidmaynard1
wrote:

(snip)

Now, with the Bijou lettuce, my book, the Vegetable Expert, says to
pull up the whole plant when you want to use it, but the catalogue says
to use it like spinach where you pull a few leaves from a plant at any
one time. Should I do the latter, that is keep it in like spinach, as
it is young tender leaves that I would like to have.

Would also be grateful to know if this is a good variety of lettuce and
above all else, is it tasty?!

Thanks in advanced

Dave

I've never grown Bijou but I never pull up a whole lettuce till
they're running to seed. I just pull off as many leaves as I need -
taking the outer one or two from half a dozen lettuces and the next
time the outer one or two from another half dozen and they last for
ages.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply