Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

Default duckweed

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:29:43 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:14:29 -0800, "John H."
wrote:

I gots a few plants today at my lfs and I asked for a few duckweed, I
never
saw it before and was surprised that it was
so small. So he gave me like 5 pieces for free. I've read posts that in a
few days this will overtake the surface? Will this happen to my tank given
such a small starting amount?
thanks

It might, if nothing eats it. It doesn't grow rapidly in my tanks,
not sure why, but I don't particularly want it, so that's okay.

I have discus cardinal tetra and otos. I dont think they will eat it? I am
trying it
in hopes to get rid of an algae problem.

The duckweed should be safe from those. Are you growing other plants
in the tank? If not, why not just cut back on the light? either less
wattage or fewer hours.