Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Latest batch of junk (28-Feb-06 @ 15:30)

The message
from "Crazy Dog" contains these words:

/snip/

Unfortunately there are personality clashes, in most of which I will not
take sides (and I do wish they'd just ignore one-another). However,
there's one I make and take exception to - so here's to absent fiends,
and long may he stay absent.

It's what a kill-file is for. Seriously, wherever more than one person
gathers there is likely to be the odd personality clash from time to time.

This isn't a personality clash, but it's appearance id most definitely odd.

Some people become experts.

Only by working at it.

I hope there is no need to change or go elsewhere. Moderation
would mean delays in posts going public. Changing to a forum format

would
mean some users would not have access from pcs at work.

And only the Gardenbanterites would go there.

Them and us?

Them's forum folk. I dislike fora like dislikeable things.

In general I prefer
unmoderated newsgroups. In general I believe that "if it ain't broke -

don't
fix it". My perception is that, due to the flooding the group is
experiencing, it /is/ broken as it is not a pleasant environment.

Most servers remove the rubbish before anyone gets a chance to download

it.

Hmm. Wanadoo doesn't.

Wannadoo? 'Nuff said.

Having said that I was online when yesterday's crap
started appearing.

Yesterday's? There's been some since 24th Feb?

Perhaps they clean up retrospectively? I don't really
want to unsubscribe/re-subscribe to find out now I've deleted the crap in
OE.

That's
certainly not due to the genuine users.

No, as I see it, it's a uk.local.* thing mainly, and not restricted to

urg.

I had a little look around some other groups I've been involved in from time
to time. Some get flooded, some don't. I wonder how the morons decide which
ones they're going to target.

Any group which is fairly well-used, perhaps?

snip

Most of us include a bot-proof emu, and some post using their proper
addresses.

I haven't included a proper address for a long time. I don't use my ISP's
spam filter and I don't get much spam.

I get (say) two or three a month in one which has never posted on
Usenet. Some spammers have a scattergun approach with some sort of
generator spewing out likely addresses.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig