Old 11-03-2003, 08:37 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default [IBC] sifting soil components

My neighbor built a slab for an outbuilding and offered me the leftover pile
of builder's sand he had had dumped in his driveway. I've gone thru probably
10 5-gallon buckets. Similar ratio of 1:4. Been using ALL that leftover
fines to level the yard. To me the biggest issue is the amount of work, time
and sore arms to get just a gallon of usable sand.

John
Austin, TX

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message
Yesterday I started sifting soil components, Turface and sand. For an
experiment I bought three bags of all-purpose sand at Home Depot to see
how it sifted out. Cost me $9. I had three bags of turface left over
from last year. After sifting all three bags of sand I came out with a
ratio of 1:4--3/4 of the sand sifted out as too fine. The Turface came
out to about 4:1 -- only 1/5 sifted out. The Turface, at around $10 a
bag, proved to be a much better deal. So much for trying to stretch
the Turface by buying "cheap" sand.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a