Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Zone 5 question

I am in zone 5 and started my seeds last week. I have started them early
for the past
few years and find that with the strange weather we have had over that
period, it is
very hard to predict a safe time to put the plants outside. I can put my
plants into a
kind of holding pattern, if necessary. That can involve transplanting them
to larger pots, if they get too large. I also have a cold frame to delay
their planting in the ground and toughen them up for any cool nights that
may pop up. The plants do grow slower under artificial lights, so this
also gives you some flexible time.

Sherwin D.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

higgledy wrote:
If the last frost date for zone 5 is April 30, can I SAFELY sow seeds
two weeks prior to April 30? Or is there some reason that I don't
realize why I need to wait till April 30?

I'm in zone 5 and generally use Memorial Day weekend as a good solid
indicator of last frost. You could probably get away with mid-May, but
I think April would be pushing it. If you want to get a jump on the
season you could start your seeds indoors around the first of May.
Follow the directions on the seed packets. If they say to sow after all
danger of frost is gone then do just that.

-Felder