Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Exclamation Privet Hedging

I'm planting a privet green hedge.
It's coming from a nursery 'Root ball'.
I know exactly what this is and how to plant.
Root ball plants can be planted between October & March, (when ground is cold) but not when there is frost.
I live in South lanarkshire, Scotland and it's very frosty and don't expect the weather to have changed much by next week.
The plants also have to be planted within a few days of arrival.
has anyone had any experience of planting privet at this time of the year and do you think the plants will be ok?

I have the border well forked and prepared by digging in organic matter.
The plants are very expensive and i'm just a bit nervous of loosing them.
The best time would have been october, before frosts, but as it happens, it's had to be now.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Aly