Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

Default sugar maple question

HI,

Try this site http://www.maple-trees.com/ also try looking into
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/PDFpubs/7036.pdf . I have loads of
maple trees on my property and yes the do flower in the spring, pretty red
buds. they need cold nights and warm days in the spring for the sap to flow
freely.
I would go and buy those trees ,even if you never get any maple syrup they
are beautiful shading trees.

--
Lynn

"BlackIce" wrote in message
hello the group

i have a few questions about sugar maples
i have 15 acres of land at stanthorpe australia bout 800 metres above sea
lvl gets to -5 degrees celsius in winter am i correct in assuming that
that
should get good autumn colour ?
also is -5 degrees celsius cold enough for these trees i figure in their
original location like canada
nth usa it would get a lot colder
gets to about 35 degrees celsius in summer here
how far apart should i plant the trees and what sort of growth can i
expect
sorry for all the questions the nursery i looking at getting them from is
2
hour drive down the road
they have 5 for sale but they couldn't answer my questions their just
selling them however their the only place that has maples to sell that i
have been able to find
last question do maples flower? as our family has bout 13 bee hives so it
woould be a bonus if they did
ok thanks in advance for your time and input