Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 AM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

Default Cats and Parrots (was Cats are evil (not off-topic))

Just curious, wasn't that a short life for the bird? Or did you get it as
an adult?
I was under the impression that parrots lived to be 50+ years old.
LOVE the pictures!!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events

I cannot have a cat in or outside because I have a parrot. Of course
there are always people who say a parrot can easily be fast friends
with a cat, that too is mythos and illogical.

I beg to differ...

I had a Nanday Conure for 19 1/2 years that ran loose on the sun porch
with the cats. She ate with them and slept with them.
I have 35mm photos but I don't have one scanned, or do I? Hmmmmmm..

quick file search

Ah! Good! :-)
Here are 4 pics of her and only one is blurred:

http://i2.tinypic.com/ot0oll.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ot0px3.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ot0pyu.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/ot0q46.jpg

The cats loved to be groomed by her and she usually slept snuggled into
Regis's fur. I don't have a photo of that unfortunately. It was so cute
the way the bird would be snuggled into his chest with a paw draped over
her.

She ate cat food along with her regular diet of seed, nuts, fresh fruits
and greens and would bathe in the cats water, but I'd change it after
she did of course. G

Like I said, 19 1/2 years this bird buddied up with the cats and
preferred cats to humans, but tolerated being petted and would hand
feed. She eventually developed cataracts about 1 year or so before she
passed so I had to cage her for her own safety...
Blind birds need regulated space. Food, water and treats have to be
located in the same spot.

I now have a Goffin's cockatoo that sort of got along with the cats. If
they pestered her, she'd chase and attack them. The cats respected her.
I finally had to build her a large aviary space on the sun porch, but
not because of the cats. It's because she got to be too destructive.
When she started on the vinyl siding, enough was enough. I had to
re-finance my morgage for that siding and repair work! Her aviary is
4.5' x 8.5' x 6 ft. tall with a walk in door so I can sit with her for
play time. She is very loving and the huge aviary space allows for a
good variety of toys.

http://i2.tinypic.com/ot0taq.jpg

The concept that cats and parrots don't mix is just nonsense......

I briefly had a mitered conure that also got along with the cats, it was
a stray. Hated humans but loved the cats. He ate an epiphyllum one day
and died. :-( I now keep all houseplants out in the greenhouse.

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson