Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Quick help with choosing gardening books please

In article , CK
writes
Hi,
I would like to read opinion not only on the content but also on the font.
I think my eyes can still cope with font 10 of Times New Roman but not tiny
print now.

Thank you for any opinion in advance.
CK

Not sure if it helps CK but there is a device that you place over the
book page and transfers the text to your screen so that you can see it
as large as you need.
The best books I ever used for practical purposes were
Home Growing edited by Anne Bonar, largish type and easy to understand
pictures, very comprehensive.
And
a very old copy of The Gardening Year by the Reader's Digest which has
smaller types but covered all things in the garden and did it month by
month as well.

Some books are lovely to own and look at and use as reference for
looking up stuff but I personally find when it comes to actually going
into the garden and sowing seeds or whatever I actually drag out my two
old books.

What about ordering the books first from the local library to see if
they are of any use?

When I joined the gardening book club I ordered two of the RHS
encyclopaedias and raffled one for the local Gardening Club!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association