Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Cats are evil (not off-topic)

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:57:52 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

I cannot have a cat in or outside because I have a parrot. Of course
there are always people who say a parrot can easily be fast friends
with a cat, that too is mythos and illogical.

Yes and no - although I've heard stories of the animals living in harmony,
the hunting instinct is "hard wired" in cats. Unless the bird is large and
powerful enough to be a match for the cat, the truce will be uneasy at best.

Well, there are people who do have cats and birds, but not this
person. A bird is a very special type of pet. They have many
requirements for their emotional health and physical safety. I would
never subject a parrot (far as I know a conure is a parrot) to the
potential of being eaten by a cat. And I adore cats.

You may want to ask around among your neighbors to see whether he belongs to
them. Again, cats don't get "lost" in the conventional sense. Either your
yard includes his territitory (which for an unaltered male can be as large
as several acres if food is scarce), or he prefers your territory to that of
his ostensible owner.

Every wild animal who sees our backyard immediately moves in! We have
a Great Horned Owl AND a Red Shouldered Hawk in another tree. There
are many broods of hummingbirds born here, a cuckoo who returns every
year and raises two broods, mockingbirds by the dozen, oppossum, fox
and her two pups, hundreds of geckgo's and anoles, and fence
lizards...now we also have a turtle and tons of toads. The only thing
wrong with this picture is the cat. I would never do anything to hurt
it. I'll see if my neighbors know anything.