Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default OT: Cats and Parrots (was Cats are evil (not off-topic))

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 06:21:45 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
What kind?

I would love a grey parrot, actually. Raised in captivity, of course, I
would never buy a wild-captured bird. They had one (or two?) at Bark and
Purr a while back, it was close to 1k, if I remember correctly.

All parrots are bred in captivity. It is against the law to do it any
other way. African Grey parrots are very noisy. I mean, they are the
mothers of mockingbirds and can mimic any phone, microwave, or
annoying noise known to man or beast. They do not love to be touched
on their backs, and are solitary birds, as in they will usually only
adopt one human to its liking.

Best to really do a lot of research before you do anything. You also
need to consider their diet. They need daily fresh fruit and
vegetables, along with several hours of physical play and a huge cage
which would cost about 600 and up.