Old 03-03-2006, 08:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

Default Pumpkin Vines; lack of success again.

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
After having solved the male-femal flower business (you wouldn't think I
did level 1 bio for HSC would you, and ag too) and fertilised them, a
number of them, we still have the same problem.

They grow to a 3-6" ball and then rot and drop off.

either
a) we (me, swmbo, and bees) stuffed up the fertilising, or
b) it has to be something lacking in soil.

Any ideas?

i'm just wondering if it could be c) not enough water.

both my zucchini and cucumbers were doing exactly as you describe. i
suspected lack of water, as they were in containers rather than the garden
bed. i put them into the garden bed instead, & they've been thriving ever
since! this, of course, doesn't mean lack of water really WAS the problem or
was the entire problem - it could have been your option b - however, not
enough water can lead to blossom end rot apparently. so there you are! these
types of veg require quite a bit of water.

i'll also say, i tried pumpkin a few times, but never managed to get them
fertilised correctly, because i've never brought an actual, live pumpkin
into existence. so option a is also possible, but i gather it shouldn't be
quite so difficult as all that(?!). i'm just particularly hopeless,
probably. so my money's on not enough water, or a nutrient problem.
(i'll close before you realise how unhelpful i am inadvertantly being g)
kylie

BTW, the gourds are doing well and we have a few little gourds/squash so
far, although some early ones did drop off.