Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Bear's breeches [Was: Lidl Gardening week]

In article .com,
writes:
| Mike Lyle wrote:
| You're asking the wrong bloke,
|
| Maybe Nick will pop out later.

Well, if you mean me, I will try, but I am no expert.

As Mike says, a lot of fungal infections are external, and no
virus ones are (or can be). So let's consider just internal
ones. For a non-expert, it is diabolically difficult to
distinguish fungal from bacterial from mycoplasmic from
invertebrate infections, and none too easy to separate them
from viral infections and even chemical imbalances, some forms
of physical damage etc.

Most forms of leaf mottling are viral; most forms of leaves
and shoots turning into slime or bark peeling off are not.
Beyond that, I reach for a book on plant diseases.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.