Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Alnus

In article . com,
writes:
| Phil L wrote:
|
| It's got long catkins which is what you wanted, what difference does it
| make?
|
| There's the Corylus avellana 'Contorta' (corkscrew tree). My friend
| moved to a house last year in the spring and has this huge tree in her
| back garden. I had never seen such long catkins on it before, 15cm at
| least. I suspect it very much depends on the situation of the tree,
| sun, shade, soil etc. I always wanted one of those. So beautiful atm,
| all bear with twisted branches. If only I had a bigger garden ...

Hazels do not like waterlogging, exposed situations etc., and
will die in many locations where alders will thrive. That
doesn't mean that they are delicate, but they aren't in the
same league as birches, alders and sallows, which were the first
trees to invade Britain as the glaciers receded and still are
pretty well the only ones for really hostile UK conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.