Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Veg plot - invasive conifer roots.

On 3/3/06 12:42, in article , "Orson
Kart" wrote:

In our small back garden we have a little (12ft 7ft) veg plot which we
top up by dumping our home-produced compost on every winter.

To the rear of the veg plot are some lopped 8ft tall conifers (5-10"
trunks). Although the veg plot is raised 6", by the end of October it
contains a lot of conifer roots.

Moving the veg plot/conifers is not an option. Would digging down 18"
and laying some of that weed suppressing black material stop the roots?
Would they still take a lot of moisture from the soil?

Any ideas greatly received?

Thanks.

It might help to talk to suppliers of Mypex but I doubt it would stop tree
roots. Certainly plants in pots left on it for a long time will root
through it. http://www.growingtechnologies.co.uk/mypexinstal.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk