Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Greenhouse or Grow Room?

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
title/title
/head
body
I would go with the basement grow room.  If you aren't going to heat your
greenhouse in the winter, there isn't much point.  Anything that could go
in the greenhouse could as easily be placed in a a
href="http://www.disas.com/GeorgeFuller.htm"lath house/a (easier and
cheaper than a greenhouse, and if you are just looking for structure in the
garden, a good alternative), or other suitable locations around the home.
 Also, if you don't get vents, you are asking for trouble in the summer.
 That limits your greenhouse use to perhaps 4 or 5 months a year, if that.br
br
I can bloom anything in a
href="http://www.msu.edu/%7Ehalgren/orchids/Growing_room.htm"my grow-room/a
that I could bloom in a greenhouse.  I still want a greenhouse, of course.
 But then again I'm well over the edge in terms of addiction, and I've been
considering a greenhouse for 10 years now.  It isn't something to dive into
lightly.  Some of the advantages to a greenhouse are vertical headroom, good
light,  and the ability to get water wherever the heck you want.  Plants
do seem to grow better in a greenhouse than in most basements, but a well
tuned basement room is just as good (just harder to get right).  br
br
I have several friends who have had greenhouses and switched back to growing
under lights.  One says he would never switch back to a greenhouse.  It is
easier to control heat and lighting in a grow-room, and if the power goes
down you aren't going to freeze out the entire collection.  Greenhouses are
a lot of work to maintain as well.br
br
Robbr
blockquote type="cite"
"
pre wrap=""I live in the northeast USA, and have a nice collection of Orchids. Lots
of Phals, a Paph, couple Cymbidiums, Dens, and Onc's...
I have a great bow window in my living room that gets western sun. The
phals in particular do GREAT there. Some bloom for 6- 8 months...
When they are done flowering I put them in my basement under banks of
cool/warm forescents. Again, the Phals seem to do great and spike each
year- the others don't flower and I assuming it is due to lack of light.
Now with spring coming I am thinking of getting a small hobby
greenhouse. I have been looking at the Julliana Polycarb green houses
(a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/basic.shtml"http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/basic.shtml/a) that I could put in my
backyard. I probably would not want to heat it in winter- so the plants
would have to come inside for a few months.
My question is this- would I be better off buying a HPS or MH light and
expanding a basement grow room? I think a greenhouse would be much more
fun, but if I dont get a commercial type (with heat, auto vents, etc)
will I have much success with it? Ideally I would like to purchace small
plants from a local greenhouse grower and develope them into plants I
can display in my livingroom window when in bloom.

/pre
/blockquote
br
br
pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol"--
Rob's Rules: a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.msu.edu/~halgren"http://www.msu.edu/~halgren/a
2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit/pre
/body