Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

Default Lidl Gardening week

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet

Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The

English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not

so
bad after all

Actually June I don't think they do...............

La chienne is 'bitch', I think. As for 'conne',

from http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...&dict=F&lang=F
(Dictionnaire Cambridge Klett Compact)

"Definition
con(ne) I adj parfois inv inf stupid II m(f)(f) inf fool; pauvre [o

sale]
péj ~! you great prick! vulg; pauvre [o sale] péj ~ne stupid cow!; faire

le
~ to fool around; oh! le ~/la ~ne! what a prick/stupid cow! "

Looking up terms like this in a respectable establishment dictionary
is like searching Marks and Spencers underwear dept for an S and M
bondage outfit.

With that mind-set, I hope you have no elderly female relatives who ask you
to nip down to the shops and buy them a corset :-)

www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/French.1.html, scroll down to C.

Gives you the street meaning of the term. As I said.

Yes, it gives the 'street' meanings (interestingly, not only the word you
selected) as opposed to the 'straight' meaning, but, clearly, there are
several possible meanings, ranging from stupid downwards. La Puce has denied
intending the phrase as you have interpreted it, and she, surely, ought to
know better than anyone else what she meant by it?

There are many terms in that excellent dictionary with alternative meanings
(I shall be looking at a dish of moules from a different perspective, in
future, for example, and shall steer well clear of French oignon soup) but
what makes you so sure La Puce (thank Heavens you didn't pun her 'nom de
guerre' to 'pute', by the way) intended the more base version, as opposed to
a somewhat more respectable insult?