Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Default duckweed

Bottom posted.
wrote:
How does it propegate? would it be a good plant filter for a sump
style filter? Or would it be hard to keep out of the main tank? I
would think simple mechanical filtration would be able to keep it in
place.

Unrelated question... does anyone ever light their tanks from the
side? Does the glass make a significant effect on the amount of light
that passes through? I ask because I have an all plant aquarium for
growing out plants on a shelf that hardly has enough room for the
hood. It would be so much easier to put the light fixture behind the
tank for easy access to the surface.

I grew an amazon swordplant to much greater size by lighting through the
glass side of the tank it was in and it grew allot in a short amount of
time. I had the light closer to the plant this way because normally the
light has to be at least a foot above the water surface so the popping
bubbles don't get onto the bulb too much because if it does the fluorescent
screw in bulb will die. But I stopped keeping the light coming in from the
side after a certain point because some hair algae started growing on the
glass that had the light real close to it. Good luck and later!