Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot

Default Pumpkin Vines; lack of success again.

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Erik Vastmasd wrote:

I produce only a few pumkins because of limited space. But I usually
help the bees, when the pumkin extends to the limits I set, I snip the
shoots and I find opposite sex flowers will then start to develope.

I suspect that this might be somewhere that we are failing. We tend to
just let the blighters grow, but I have noticed that female flowers only
form late and only a few at the ends. So I am determined next year to
snip early to encourage branching of the plants, rather than a couple of
long runners.

i think i'll try this too & see if it helps! we might both have more luck
with them next year, you never know. i can't believe i've never even managed
to get them _fertilised_, but anyway. (must try harder).
kylie