Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Pumpkin Vines; lack of success again.

Dwayne wrote:

Terry, I have learned that the biggest reason small squash/pumpkins rot
before developing, was because they had not received enough visits from bees
and other pollinators.

I would plant flowers near them next time, or just leave them alone and
later in the season, but still in time to allow them to become ripe, they
will be visited. Just pull of the rotted ones.

Before you add lime to your soil, you might get a pH test. Lime will raise
the pH and I wouldn't do that unless it was in the range of 4. Most edible
plants need a ph below 7. Blueberries like 4, but most everything else you
will be raising wants a ph of 5.5 to 6.5.

I have never experiences blossom end rot until the fruit was older and
usually just a week or so away from becoming ripe.

Good luck. Dwayne

"Terry Collins" wrote in message

After having solved the male-femal flower business (you wouldn't think I
did level 1 bio for HSC would you, and ag too) and fertilised them, a
number of them, we still have the same problem.

They grow to a 3-6" ball and then rot and drop off.

either
a) we (me, swmbo, and bees) stuffed up the fertilising, or
b) it has to be something lacking in soil.

Any ideas?

BTW, the gourds are doing well and we have a few little gourds/squash so
far, although some early ones did drop off.

Yep flower but best of all is LAVENDER. Anyone knows that lavender
attracts bees like crazy.