Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default septic tank and tree

In article ,
H Ryder wrote:
How big do you want it to be, and what do you regard as interesting?
There are lots of things that will be happy even on alkaline clay.

it's not so much the clay that is the problem, more that we have become
paranoid about "roots". I was looking for (a) a tree (say about 12 - 24
foot) which woudl give some blossom and maybe berries, also some evergreen
shrubs which we can plant around the overflows/vents etc to hide them. I
know to avoid hydrandras but am unsure about other shrubs.

Any tree of even that small size will need a fairly large root
system, to avoid blowing over if nowt else. How far would it
be from the septic tank?

Medium evergreen shrubs are not a problem where you are. There
are zillions, and most are moderate in their root run.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.