Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Default New Orchid owner, can someone provide advise?

Welcome, New Orchid Owner or aka ext237.
Kenni has given you great advice as she always does.
The brown on the edge of the leaf could be fertilizer burn? But then
again all the leaves would be that way. Did you look underneath for any
sign of bugs?
I noticed that you have a decorative pot. Is your plant in its own
plastic pot just sitting inside the large pot? If not, then watch
the drainage you will need to water less often. Root rot is the
biggest killer of orchids.
In order for your "Oliver" to bloom again he will also need good filtered
sunlight all day. There are grow lights available for indoors.
Also another good thing to do is join a Orchid Society near you.
Good luck,
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

ext237 wrote:
Hi,

I received an Orchid from my boss at work. The tag in the container
says "Lc. Little Oliver 'Tricolor'". Pictures are he

http://lippeatt.com/flowers.asp

Can someone take a look and see if it is healthy? It is getting dark
spots on the leaves, and the stem with the flowers has died. Its
only being watered once a week per suggestions received because
Orchids do not like too much water? I moved it away from the window
because it has been pretty cold lately.

Here's my pictures. They are done with a camera phone, but you can
see the dark spots, the skin that is pealing off, and the withered
stems.
Thanks to anyone who can offer a bit of advise!!