Old 11-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Winter Flowering Cyclamen

In article ,
Rod wrote:

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
news:ckoba.468$ug3.122912@newsfep2-gui...
I have had a good show of these plants over the winter months grown in

large
tubs.How would one treat them after the flowering season has ended ?Do you
dig them out like a bulb and dry them out?

Please help as they are so healthy plants I would not like to loose them.
Thanks

They respond best to being allowed to do their own thing. You probably want
to do something else with the container during the summer so if you can -
leave the cyclament to die down naturally - they are dormant during the
summer months, then dig them out and plant them somewhere in reasonable
light and preferably protected from excessive winter wet. Around the bottom
of a big tree or on a bank is nice - they should naturalise and get better
every year in such a spot.

Hang on. WHICH cyclamen? He could well be talking about C. persicum,
which might survive outside where you are but wouldn't have an earthly
here. C. coum does fine, in the rain shadow of a tree or house, and
C. hederifolium might well, too.

[ To Peter Donovan: the large flowered cyclamen that you grow indoors
are C. persicum. Small ones can be almost anything. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679